1. What are the benefits of CBD?
CBD promotes a positive sense of calm and well-being that is markedly different from THC. Instead of a psychotropic "high," CBD edibles brighten mood and bring a calming energy.
CBD is studied to:
- Regulate hormone production and establish homeostasis, or balance, that supports stress, sleep, recovery, mood and immunity by enhancing Endocannabinoid System (ECS) tone.
- Confer an anxiolytic (anxiety relieving) and anti-depressant effect by activating serotonin receptors.
- Relieving pain by activating TRPV ion channels, namely TRPV1.
- Regulating the body's stress and inflammatory response by regulating the HPA Axis and reducing cortisol levels.
- Promote neurogenesis in the hippocampus, a brain region involved in learning and the formation, organization, and storage of new memories.
CBD can also be used to moderate the psychoactive effects of THC, which some people find uncomfortable.
2. What are the benefits of CBD edibles?
CBD edibles have the advantage of being long-lasting, bringing calming energy and brightening mood for hours.
CBD edibles are also easy to use, don't risk lung irritation, are discreet, have minimal side effects (if any), and are non-intoxicating.
3. CBD edibles vs. oils—which is better?
CBD oils are superior to edibles in two ways:
- Predictable onset and dosing. CBD Tinctures take 15–30 minutes to take effect, whereas edibles take up to 1 hour.
- Greater bioavailability. When consumed sublingually, CBD is said to have a bioavailability rate of between 13-19%. On the other hand, oral consumption of CBD has a lower bioavailability rate, which one study showed can be as low as 6%.
Because CBD oil is dropped under the tongue where it is absorbed rapidly into the bloodstream through capillaries, it typically takes 15-30 minutes for its effects to be felt. That also means that more CBD is absorbed directly into the bloodstream.
On the other hand, CBD edibles have a more pleasant taste. CBD oil’s flavour has been described as earthy, grassy, and nutty, and can be off-putting for some. CBD edibles, such as CBD gummies, come in a variety of different flavors. The addition of sweeteners used in gummies can make meeting one’s CBD needs a little easier on the palate. Some find a way around CBD’s unpleasant taste by adding it to their meals and drinks, which can help mask the flavour, but that reduces CBD's bioavailability from ~20% to as low as 6%.
4. What are CBD edibles best used for?
Most people use CBD edibles for their calming and mood-brightening powers. But these products also have specific uses, including:
- reducing pain and inflammation,
- reducing anxiety, and
- developing healthier, natural sleep cycles.
However, CBD edibles are best taken as supplements to establish homeostasis, or balance, that supports stress, focus, mood, sleep, recovery, inflammation, and immunity. For immediate relief, we'd recommend CBD flower, vaporizers, and oils, respectively.
5. Can I use CBD Edibles for pain?
CBD is an excellent pain-management tool, providing relief for a range of chronic pain and inflammatory conditions.
By interacting with key molecular targets, such as the ECS and TRPV receptors, CBD promotes chemical signaling that activates your cells for quick response, creating an anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving effect that helps manage pain, including:
- cancer (pain, vomiting, lack of appetite),
- neuropathic pain,
- fibromyalgia symptoms, and
- arthritis pain and swelling,
However, edibles typically take the longest to take affect and the lowest bioavailability (6%) compared to sublingual tinctures/oil drops (20%+), vaporizers (30%+), flower (40%+), and intranasal sprays (45%+). If you need immediate pain relief, we'd recommend oil drops, vaporizers, or flower.
6. Are CBD edibles good for sleep?
Yes. Due to its role in establishing homeostasis, or balance, CBD acts as a potent and effective intervention for underlying issues that prevent a healthy sleep-wake cycle, from stress, anxiety, PTSD, and mental health complications to chronic pain and inflammation.
By reducing chronic pain and the body's inflammatory response, CBD edibles can help you have a better night's sleep. If you have an anxious mind, or it just refuses to rest, the general sense of calm and peace can contribute to better sleep.
CBD also counteracts our body's stress response. Prolonged stress can trigger increased cortisol, which can manifest as inflammation, exhaustion, irritability, lack of focus, anxiety, depression, and insomnia. By regulating the body's stress response, including the sympathetic nervous system and HPA Axis, CBD promotes multi-depth calm and relaxation on a cellular level.
However, timing is key. Because the effects of CBD edibles kick in more slowly than other options (such as using a CBD vape pen), make sure to have your CBD edible 60 minutes prior to going to bed.
If your sleep issues are persistent and require further intervention, you may wish to explore our Sleep Solution, an advanced plant-sourced blend of cannabinoids, potent nervine complex, and melatonin designed to help you relax easier, sleep faster, and wake up fully rested with. Available in CBD, THC, and a balanced 1:1 blend of CBD + THC.
7. Are CBD edibles good for anxiety and stress?
Yes. CBD is studied to exert anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) and anti-depressant (energizing and mood-brightening) effects by:
- acting on serotonin (5-HT1A) receptors to brighten mood,
- toning the ECS to establish homeostasis, or balance,
- regulating the HPA Axis and body's stress (fight or flight) response,
- promoting neurogenesis in the hippocampus, the brain region responsible for memory.
CBD also delays the reuptake of important endogenous cannabinoids, such as Anandamide (AEA) and 2-AG, which are critical for our mood, fertility, and the body's ability to remain resilient to stress and disease.
8. Does CBD improve sex and libido?
After the brain, there are more ECS receptors in the female reproductive system than in any other system, and there is increasing evidence it is strongly implicated in female fertility and hormonal health. There are also ECS receptors in male reproductive organs, but their numbers are eclipsed by their counterparts.
But how can CBD improve sex?
Anxiety and depression, in most cases, lead to one thing—issues with sex or reduced sexual self-esteem. This irrevocably leads to problems in the bedroom. CBD products may improve libido by reducing anxiety, including performance anxiety, as well as trauma- and pain-related concerns. Other research suggests it can enhance sensation and promote blood flow.
With its ability to help you relax and save you from anxiety or depression, CBD can easily become a substitute for the alcohol or other methods used to get the same result. Nevertheless, in the case of CBD balm, lube, gummies, or other product use, you will not suffer from fuzzy memories or hangovers the next morning.
9. What are the side effects of CBD?
Though it's often well-tolerated, CBD can cause side effects, such as dry mouth, diarrhea, reduced appetite, drowsiness and fatigue. CBD can also interact with other medications you're taking, such as blood thinners.
Hit us with them in the comments below, or let us know by tapping the live chat icon. We'll add them to the list. If it's a really good question, we'll dedicate an entire post to it. 😉