What's the idea behind drinking coffee alternatives?
Caffeine can deplete your nervous system, so by using nutritional superfoods you can give yourself an "honest" energy boost — not an artificial one. That way you don't get the 3pm slump or that "wired and tired" feeling.
What are some coffee alternatives you can explore in the morning?
Consider drinking superfood mushroom lattes or making a "coffee-like" beverage using cacao.
Can you put cannabis or magic mushrooms in your coffee alternative beverage?
Yes - you absolutely can! Just be sure to choose cannabis or mushroom products that are appropriate for the morning. For example, sativa strains or CBD can be used in your breakfast beverage or a very small microdose of psilocybin. We've made some product recommendations in this article.
Most of us love coffee — really love coffee. You could say that for a lot of us, it’s an addiction. That energy boost in the morning is an important part of every day, but it doesn’t always have to come from coffee. If you’re looking for coffee alternatives as a means to reduce your coffee/caffeine intake, or if you simply just want to drop the coffee addiction, we have some coffee alternatives for you.
Caffeine isn’t everything. Superfoods that are loaded with antioxidants and nutrition can give our bodies and minds that rush of energy too — and without lots of the weird side effects like stinky breath. And in fact, this is a “truer” kind of energy than what caffeine gives you.
Coffee can give you a quick rush of energy, but it also depletes the body’s nervous system. That’s because it’s an artificial kind of energy like what amphetamine drugs would give you. But if you give your body the right start to the day with lots of nutrition, the energy you experience is cleaner, lasts longer, and doesn’t deplete your nervous system.
If you’re wanting to get rid of that “wired and tired” feeling then be sure to try our superfood coffee alternatives to boost your morning instead. Once you try them, coffee addiction will be a thing of the past!
1. Cannabis + Cacao + Goji + Maca
This plant-based cocktail is a superfood powerhouse for those who want to give up coffee but still want that physical rush that comes with coffee. Cacao contains theobromine which has simulating effects a lot like caffeine. It stimulates the cardiac centre, a lot like coffee, but without a lot of the negative effects.
The combination of cacao, goji, and maca makes for a dream beverage for pretty much every system of the body. Goji berries provide support to the immune system, digestive system, and circulatory system while maca provides antidepressant qualities and is loaded with antioxidants.
On top of this, the cannabis product we’ve included in this recipe is a Sativa tincture, ideal for getting the energy boost you need in the mornings. Cannabis can help to focus the mind and give much-needed motivation to your day — especially when it’s combined with all of these other superfoods.
- 1-2ml 500mg 1:1 Halley’s Comet Tincture
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- 2 tsp raw cacao powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean paste or concentrated vanilla essence
- ½ tsp maca powder
- 1 tsp honey or more to taste
- 1 ½ tsp virgin coconut oil
- A few goji berries to garnish
- Put the cannabis tincture, cacao, maca, vanilla bean paste, honey, and coconut oil in a mug.
- Warm the almond or coconut milk in a small saucepan but do not bring it to a complete boil. Warm it to nearly boiling point then turn off the heat.
- Add the milk to the mug and stir until all the honey, coconut oil, and cannabis tincture have been completely mixed in.
- Add the goji berries as a garnish.
- Enjoy lovingly.
2. Super-super-food Mushroom Latte
Mushroom lattes have become a very “in” thing to consume, and not without good reason. The more we learn about medicinal mushrooms, the more everybody wants to consume them. From their benefits to the immune system to their benefits for cognitive function, medicinal mushrooms have become an important part of the wellness trend.
What we’re proposing with this recipe is a little bit different. This mushroom latte is for microdosing days as it also includes a small dose of psilocybin. Combining a psilocybin microdose with the mushroom Lion’s Mane is a microdosing technique created by Paul Stamets. The idea is that combining psilocybin with other cognitive brain mushrooms potentiates the neurocognitive benefits of psilocybin.
Whether you’re using the Paul Stamets or James Fadiman methods of microdosing, you shouldn’t be using this latte everyday. For microdosing to be the most effective, you have to nominate a few days a week where you don’t take a dose. This latte is the perfect way to get a psilocybin microdose on dosing days.
You will need:
- 1 square Golden Teachers Magic Mushroom Chocolate
- 1 heaped tsp mushroom superfood (Lions Mane, Chaga, Reishi, or blend)
- 1 cup nut milk of your choice (almond, cashew, coconut etc)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey or sweetener of your choice
- 1 tsp virgin coconut oil
- Heat all the ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat. Heat it very slowly so that the chocolate has a chance to melt and doesn’t burn.
- When you reach a gentle simmer, turn the heat off and allow it to cool for 1 minute or until it’s safe to put in a blender.
- Put the mixture in a blender and blend for 30 sec to 1 minute or until the mixture is foamy and looks delicious.
- Transfer to a mug and sprinkle some cinnamon on top if you fancy.
- Drink and watch your cerebrals light up.
3. CBD Dandy Chai
If you don’t really want to get away from the bitter, roasted taste of coffee, but don’t need the stimulant effects, then CBD Dandy Chai is a perfect morning recipe. The addition of roasted dandelion root instead of black tea makes this chai uncaffeinated, so there’s no real stimulant effect. However, the spicy chai herbs stimulate the digestive system and get the blood flowing throughout the body. This stimulates the cardiac centre into gear and gets blood to the brain to get it into gear. Dandelion gets your kidneys working, supports healthy skin, and supports detoxification through the liver.
This beverage also doubles up as a lovely digestive tea and evening remedy for those who also like a hot drink at night.
What makes CBD Dandy Chai a good morning beverage is CBD! At lower doses, CBD is actually a stimulant, while at higher doses, CBD is a sedative. So add lower doses of CBD to this beverage to make it a morning drink and higher doses to make it an evening drink.
- 1-4ml 600mg Nano-emulsified CBD tincture, depending on when you’re drinking it
- 2tsp roasted dandelion root
- A couple of slices of fresh ginger or ¼ tsp dry ground ginger
- A few cardamom pods, crushed
- A few cloves, ground
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup milk of your choice
- Sweetener of your choice
- Add all the ingredients except for the nano-emulsified CBD tincture to a small saucepan and turn on low heat.
- Continue to heat the mixture until it gets to a light simmer, stirring constantly.
- When it arrives at the boil, turn off the heat and strain the brew into a mug.
- Add your desired dose of Nano-emulsified CBD Tincture. Stir.
- Drink morning or night and feel all the feels.
Good morning in a different way.
There’s nothing wrong with change, right? Humans are habitual creatures and that’s why most of us walk over to the coffee pot before we even know what day it is. It’s just a habit — and we can always afford to have some healthier habits. Starting your day with superfoods that nourish every aspect of your body is certainly one of those healthy habits!
You don’t have to add cannabis or magic mushrooms to your morning coffee alternative if you don’t want to or aren’t comfortable with that either. Nonetheless, these coffee alternatives are a delicious way to start the day that your body will thank you for.
Have you tried any of these superfood coffee alternatives? Do you have another recipe you love as a morning boost? We’d love to hear from you in the comments!