What kinds of things can you make with CBD isolate?
Virtually anything. You can make CBD lip balm, treats for your dog, CBD-infused honey, gummy bears, or even pain ointment.
What else will you need to do DIY with CBD?
Check out the rest of this article for recipes and instructions for the wonderful DIY projects we just mentioned.
CBD isolate made its way into the cannabis market with somewhat of an… anticlimax. Originally, CBD isolate (and THC isolate) paved the way for highly accurate pharmaceutical cannabis formulations. For example, cannabinoid isolates make it possible for companies like GW Pharmaceuticals to manufacture products like Sativex. Essentially, it allows for very exact formulations and cannabinoid ratios.
But dispensaries also stock CBD isolate, and there are a lot of people who have no idea how to use it. It doesn’t really make taking CBD any easier — you’d need to have a really sensitive kitchen scale to measure out doses of CBD isolate. Most kitchen scales can precision measure a minimum of 100 mg.
While CBD isolate doesn’t necessarily make it easy to dose straight out of the container, it is a perfect base ingredient for making DIY CBD products. It’s also much more versatile than using ready-made CBD oils as it gives you complete freedom when it comes to the concentration of your homemade product.
So — basically — yes, there are 101 things you can do with CBD isolate. Naturally, there isn’t enough word-space in this article to cover them all. But here are 5 fun DIY CBD products you can make with CBD isolate.
1. CBD-infused lip balm
Whether you get sore, dry, and cracked lips, or whether you just want something indulgent to use throughout Spring and Summer, this all-natural CBD-infused lip balm should get your lips smacking.
Aside from being way cheaper to make than to buy in stores, you can also make this lip balm in batches — which means you can give them away as gifts.
This is the kind of lip balm that goes into cute little containers that you use with your finger. It’s harder to find the stick type (unless you buy them wholesale). It’s much easier to find little lip balm containers in home stores, cosmetic stores, or even the pharmacy.
This recipe makes roughly 15 tiny lip balm containers.
What you’ll need to make CBD-infused lip balm:
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon beeswax
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- 10 – 15 drops essential oil of your choice
- 500 mg CBD isolate (this is half a 1000 mg container)
- Lip balm containers
- A pipette
- Create a double boiler by putting a small saucepan or pyrex measuring glass inside another small saucepan half-filled with water.
- Melt the beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter in the double boiler until it’s all turned to liquid.
- Remove your oil/wax mix from the saucepan and continue stirring it while it cools down a little.
- Once your mix has cooled slightly, but is still liquid, add your CBD isolate. Continue mixing until it is completely dissolved.
- Add the essential oil of your choice. Mix in well.
- Using the pipette, fill your little lip balm jars. Allow to cool with the lid off, at room temperature.
Now, to add a little spruce to your jars, you can design a cute label. You can even write the ingredients. Then distribute lovingly to your friends and family.
2. CBD-infused honey
This is one of the coolest and easiest recipes in the world. If you love to put a teaspoon of honey in your tea or spread it on toast, CBD-infused honey is the easiest way to get a daily dose.
Did we mention that it’s really easy?
It’s so easy that if you want to add some complexities, it’s still easy. For example, you can add rose petals or lavender to this honey to give it an extra level of artistry.
For plain CBD-infused honey
To make CBD-infused honey, create a double boiler. As the honey warms and melts, add your chosen amount of CBD isolate and mix until it is completely dissolved. Then put your honey back in the jar and let it cool!
For extra artistic CBD-infused honey
If you want to add lavender or rose petals, use the following method:
- Add one jar of honey to a double boiler.
- When it melts, add 2 – 4 tablespoons of your chosen flower (or half of each).
- Allow to simmer on low heat in the double boiler for up to 2 hours.
- Strain your mixture and press the flowers to release all of the honey.
- While your mixture is still hot, add your desired amount of CBD isolate and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Allow your honey to cool.
3. CBD-infused dog treats
If it wasn’t already fun enough making CBD-infused treats for humans, it will be extra fun making them for your furry companion.
Remember — animals are much more sensitive to CBD than humans, given their tiny bodies and high-functioning endocannabinoid systems. So measurements and dosing are really important for this recipe.
To make things easier, you should first dissolve your CBD isolate in coconut oil. Here’s the method:
- Measure 8 tablespoons of coconut oil.
- Using a double boiler, melt the coconut oil until it is a liquid.
- Add 1 gram of CBD isolate to your melted coconut oil and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and store your CBD-infused coconut oil in a clean, sterilized container.
Now – for making the dog treats, you’re only going to need 1 tablespoon of your CBD-infused coconut oil. That means each batch of dog treats contains ⅛ gram of CBD (or 125 mg). This recipe makes a total of 15 treats. Each one contains 8mg of CBD.
What you’ll need to make CBD-infused dog treats
- 1 tablespoon CBD-infused coconut oil (that you prepared earlier)
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- Preheat your oven to 160℃ (325 ℉).
- Put your oats in a food processer and pulse until it has a light, powdery texture. Set aside.
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed banana, peanut butter, and CBD-infused coconut oil.
- Stir in your oat flour and knead until you have a soft dough.
- Lightly dust a surface with flour and using your hands, make a ¼ inch thick circle with your dough
- Using a 2 inch cookie cutter, cut your dough into 15, 2 inch treats.
- Put on a tray and bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes or until golden.
Every time your furry companion needs a little bit of extra support, you can gift them with one of your homemade CBD-infused dog treats.
4. CBD-infused gummy bears
Everybody wants to learn to make a CBD-infused treat that isn’t brownies, right? And again, this recipe only requires half a gram of CBD isolate, so you’ll still have half a gram left for other DIY endeavours.
CBD-infused gummy bears are a fun way to get CBD into your body, and of course, they’re heaps of fun to make. You have complete freedom over your flavour and colour choices. And of course, you’ll also have the ultimate say when it comes to the CBD dose.
This recipe makes a total of 50 gummies, each with 10 mg CBD isolate. You can scale this up or down, depending on how powerful you want them to be. To calculate a suitable CBD dose, you simply have to divide the total amount of CBD isolate used in the recipe by 50. If you decide to use 1000 mg CBD isolate, each gummy will contain 20 mg. If you decide to use 2000 mg CBD isolate, you’ll end up with gummies that each contain 40 mg CBD. If you decide to use 250 mg CBD isolate, each gummy will contain 5 mg of CBD.
What you’ll need to make CBD-infused gummy bears
- 500 mg CBD isolate (using the method above, you can choose any amount)
- A gummy bear mold
- ½ cup pureed fruit of your choice
- ½ cup distilled water
- 8 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin
- A pipette
- If you haven’t done it already, puree the fruit you wish to use in a food processor or with an immersion blender until it’s completely smooth.
- Pour water into a small saucepan and place it on the stove without heat. Sprinkle the gelatin evenly over the water and set aside for 2 minutes. Do not mix, stir, or apply heat.
- After 2 minutes, start stirring the gelatin mixture. It will be very thick at this stage. Turn the stove on to low-medium heat.
- Continue stirring until the mixture has become liquefied.
- Pour liquefied gelatin mixture into your pureed fruit and mix well.
- Add CBD isolate and continue mixing until everything is well integrated.
- Working fast, use a pipette to fill your gummy molds.
- Place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
Don’t forget that the total number of gummies you yield divided by the amount of CBD isolate you used is your dose per gummy. Enjoy the taste of home-made, CBD goodness.
5. CBD-infused pain ointment
Of all the cool things you can do with CBD isolate, this recipe is the most elaborate. This recipe doesn’t just rely on CBD as the analgesic component of this pain ointment. It also includes ginger essential oil and St John’s Wort infused oil — which are all easy enough to acquire online.
Ideally, this CBD-infused pain ointment would be used to treat neuralgia-style pain. Whether it’s neck, back, sciatic, or even arthritis-related, this pain ointment may relieve symptoms and provide some relief.
This recipe makes one 125-150 mL jar of ointment.
What you’ll need to make CBD pain ointment:
- 500 mg CBD isolate (half 1 gram container)
- 28 g beeswax
- 115 g St John’s Wort-infused oil
- 10 – 20 drops ginger essential oil (depending on the potency and heat you want to achieve)
- In a double boiler, melt your beeswax until it is a liquid.
- Add the St John’s Wort-infused oil into your melted beeswax and stir until it is completely mixed.
- Add CBD isolate and stir until it is completely integrated.
- Remove your mixture from the double boiler and allow it to cool for 3-5 minutes.
- Once the mixture has cooled but is still a liquid, add ginger essential oil. Stir until combined.
- Pour the mixture into jars.
You can apply this salve to any part of the body experiencing nerve pain. Because this is a salve, it isn’t suitable to use on burns or open wounds. It should just be used on healthy skin, where the pain is nerve or muscle related.
If CBD isolate didn’t seem like a useful thing to have in your medicine cabinet before, we bet that now it does. With 1 gram of CBD isolate, you can make multiple different CBD products that would otherwise have cost an arm and a leg to purchase separately. On top of that, you can become an aficionado at making some of your own herbal medicines at home.
5000mg CBD Harmony Spearmint Tincture
166.67 mg CBD per mlAdd to cart $299
300mg Sativa 3:1 Orange Flavoured Cannabis Drops
7.5mg CBD oil + 2.5mg THC oil (full spectrum) per mlAdd to cart $49
150mg CBD Eucalyptus Relieve Bath Soak
250g eucalyptus scented bath saltAdd to cart$19$15.20
We hope you enjoyed making some of these CBD isolate products. Which did you like the best, and what other products have you made with CBD isolate? Let us know in the comments!